Pomegranate Molasses Chocolate Chip Cookies

If you know me, you know that I am not the best baker. However, my focaccia was such a hit I figured the Lebanese kitchen mojo was working for me and there was a request for cookies.

I couldn't find brown sugar :/ I did some research and found that brown sugar is merely regular sugar mixed with molasses. Great! I'll just make it.

No molasses...hmmm..... pomegranate molasses??? I decided to be adventurous. How bad could it be?


It's actually quite simple to make. (One cup sugar mixed with one tablespoon molasses - add a little more if needed to get the same texture of brown sugar - you can do this with regular molasses or honey as well) This was the perfect project for my busy 2 year old.

It isn't that easy to bake without measuring cups. The only measuring cup I had was a bottle similar to a Nalgene water jug. I made due but was filled with anxiety the whole time hoping that I wouldn't be an utter failure to the hungry cookie monsters awaiting in the next room.

Through a great ordeal of running in and out checking the internet for conversions and good substitutes (I was 27g short of a cup of butter - and had grabbed baking powder not baking soda) I had something that resembled cookie dough.


The next step was to bake. As if nothing else could go wrong, I couldn't figure out how to turn on the stove and noticed there were no numbers on the dial.


My Brother-in-Law came to the rescue, he lit the stove and informed me that this is an old stove and you can only guesstimate where the temperature should be. :/

I figure somewhere not quite full blast. Why not?


I was wrong... but not that wrong :)




I had an impatient cookie monster/ballerina on my hands.













Very Impatient!












A little twitching of the stove, and against all odds, the next batch came out of the oven perfect.










Were they good you ask?





In a word, yes.

These are the types of cookies you add walnuts to. They tasted like chocolate chip cookies with an after hint of pomegranate. Amazing flavor.

Here is the recipe in case you want to try:


1 cup butter
2 cups white sugar
1-2 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla
3 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup chopped walnuts

1. Preheat oven to 350F
2. Mix 1 cup sugar and molasses together until resembles brown sugar
3. Cream butter and sugars until smooth
4. Beat in eggs then stir in vanilla
5. Mix salt, baking powder and flor together
6. Slowly mix flour and sugar mixture together then add chocolate and nuts
7. Drop on ungraded pan and bake 4-11 min until brown around the edges.

Comments

  1. Oh Martha thank you so much ;-)
    I loved this post and I cannot wait to lose another 13 lbs before I give myself the treat of trying out this recipe. I still have some pomegranate molasses that you left. I have almonds and figs and your white chocolate chips too. Oh this might be interesting. :-p
    Gosh, the photos of JuJu Bee with your narrative truly blessed my heart.
    Uff Da! Unk! What a hunk ;-)
    Beefcake is always good for a blog.
    Where is the photo of Ms. Narchville?
    Oh the places you'll go and the cookies you'll bake.
    My tenderest
    Namaste

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment