Should I Stay or Should I Go?!

Things were up in the air until the very last minute regarding returning to Lebanon, for various reasons. 
If I wanted to catch my plane, I was instructed to be at the airport at 445 pm as my flight was scheduled for 645 pm. It takes 30 min to get to the airport but if there is traffic.... Who knows?!

Firas called at 330 pm and said that he thought my visa was sorted and since there was some reluctance about this trip i should just stay home.

So I stopped putting on my makeup. 

Firas called Lebanon around 345 pm to tell them I wasn't coming. We knew they would be bummed but we didn't know family from Syria was in town and a HUGE party was planned for Little Narch's birthday. So they were a smidge beyond bummed. 

I get it. They have never had a birthday with Little Narch. 

Firas and I were also torn.

We were speechless on the phone. 

Was there even enough time to catch the plane?

Calls back and forth. Stay. Go. Stay. Go tomorrow. Stay. 

"Little Narch, I don't think we will make it to Lebanon."

Unexpected uncontrollable tears from her. 

"my teta" she screams

A few minutes pass. Firas calls and I pick up. I found myself putting my shoes on and gathering things. 

The words fall off my tounge, "I'm catching a cab. I'll call you with an update.  *click*  Joelle grab your shoes we are going to try and catch our plane. We are in hurry mode!"

"ok ok ok I'm grabbing them. Yayaya teta teta teta" she put her shoes on.

Im in cool, calm but fast mode. I grab my phone. Ipad. Ipod. Check to make sure I have the right passports and my ticket confirmation. I have cash and water. The marriage license in case they want to know why I'm back. I grab my foundation and mascara. Stuff it in my purse. We are out the door. I bet less than five minutes has passed. 

We are at the elevator...

"Mom, I'll push the button!"

Thank god she remembered or valuable time could have been wasted. I was racking my brain....

"Did I leave anything of utter importance? Sure, I was going to pack snacks, a change of clothes, the camera... But I left a lot of stuff in Lebanon and I'll grab snacks on the plane... if I make it?"
 
We get to the ground floor and start walking. My plan is to walk toward the train. If I see a cab I'll wave it down. If by the time I get to the station there isn't one, I'll catch the next train to the closest stop possible.

That method is not preferred because I don't even know which direction the airport is so it will involve lots of questions, deer in the headlamp stares and yes ma'ams. (Which I HATE! Because it's not an answer and it proves I'm not being understood.)
 
Three cabs pass none are free. I get closer to the train and the fourth cab stops.
 
"I need to go to the airport. I only have 500 dirhams will you have change?"
 
"Yes ma'am no problem."
 
I show him the 500 bill "I'm in a hurry to catch a plane you have lots of change?"
 
(just in case he is yes ma'aming me)

He pulls out his wallet shows me and says "yes" 

Touché! I like him.

He begins to drive. I tell him in my simplest English the scenario. Joelle chimes in about her Teta.
 
He speeds up. (His grasp of English  has obviously been underestimated.)
 
We got to the airport. I pay, thank and tip him.
 
It was 527 pm.
 
They signed me in after some begging. I got through security fast. (all I had was my purse) 
Everything went smooth from there once the security guy drove me out to the plane... and here is Little Narch sleeping on the flight.

photo.JPG

We are an amazing team!

No time equals no pictures :) no camera and only an iphone equals interesting first day post but you will get one. Don't you worry :)

Comments

  1. LOVE! especially that you remembered first day!

    Our last trip to Minnesota I decided to not stress so I packed the morning we left and only brought a couple outfits for each of us (for a 2 week stay) and it was the best trip ever! Over planning is overrated!

    Have a great time!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment