A Little History...

School was annoying to me.

I missed a lot between sickness, lack of structure/motivation, a divorce and some misinterpreted family issues. You've heard the story before.



Looking back...

I loved Drama/English with Mrs. H-T (although she would most likely be appalled with my grammar - I'm working on it), Science with Mr. Klicka, and Algebra with my bulky should've been PE teacher. I was usually in the lead of the class, if I showed up for it and finished my work.



Not to knock on my parents, but something went seriously awry with my high school education. It was a mixture of being so tied up with my brothers, crazy work schedules and a free spirit parenting style.

To boot, I made a terrible decision to go to an even more lenient high school for the arts my senior year and ended up dropping out.

ME!? A high school drop out?

That's me on the top right.


I was savvy, creative, articulate and intelligent. (Not to toot my own horn but you have to be smart to pass classes you never show up to.)

(If you are wondering I took the GED and ended up going to college to be a Paralegal.)

Which brings me to my daughter and her education.

Originally we chose her school for the rigorous curriculum, old school learning style and language aspect. It has helped her interest in French and Arabic however, I'm not going that far out on a limb when I say there are other programs out there that will do a better job.



Little Narch is not your typical kindergartener. She doesn't need an entire week to learn a new fact. She memorizes books almost word for word after reading them to her once. She listens to adult conversations and then roleplays them with you the next morning.



She needs special attention. Attention she is not/will not get in a room full of sick, noisy, misbehaved kids stacking legos together.

Can I just mention she has missed more school than she has attended due to illness.

This is why we are choosing to try homeschool. 


I know there are different philosophies regarding how to school children.  What's right for some isn't right for others. This just feels right.

Little Narch is intrigued by the world around her. Learning is something we are doing constantly on our own terms. We are already reading chapter books and learning to classify money together.



She may not look like me but I see a lot of myself in her. Together with my ability to find information and her ability to soak it up, we will rock her education and we will both be better because of it.

It won't be lollipops and roses all the time but she will never fall through the cracks.

Her Baba and I just. won't. let her.











Comments