How's Little Narch?

"What do you tell your almost 3 Year old about this... and how is she doing?"
(This is a long post broken up into sections for your reading convenience)

I started talking to Juju a long time ago about moving. She has been to 'Levanon' before and we regularily spoke with our fellow 'Narchians' on Skype.

I told her that we were going on a plane to live in 'Levanon', that we were going to find her a school (which she is very motivated by), buy her a princess bed, new toys, and new books. This new move would involve lots of fun and playing with Teta, Jido, Nabil and Petra more often and that we would make lots of new friends.

I made her a cut out card board 'map' of Lebanon. Complete with dots where the two houses would be and reminded her of the Mediterranean Sea was because my girl is a fish!


She was really pumped about the move to Lebanon and her eyes would light up every time we had trivia about our new adventure.

When Dubai jumped out at us I just left it. My thought process was two months in Lebanon to her... IS moving to Lebanon. I also started cluing her in the the process of looking for an apartment in Dubai. Showing her pictures of the area. When she would ask I would tell her the truth "This is Dubai we are going to have a house there as well."

PURGE AND PACK

When it came time to purge and pack I asked her what she wanted to take with to Lebanon. I put a big suitcase on the floor and told her it had to fit into the suitcase. (Looking back at it... She really could care less about the toys. She hasn't asked about any particular item - I brought the baby the barbies and the my little ponies - but that is it) She had a fit when I sold her crib (that she NEVER slept in) and she asked inquisitively where her drumset was when she deemed it drumming time.  However, for the most part... her attachment to things ???? all in my head.

One bitter-sweet realization was that people did not fit into suitcases. I told her she was right and congratulated her on her great observation. That seemed to be good enough for her. For the moment.

Once We Got Here

There was a period of adjustment. With the 28 hour transit time and the 8 hour time difference you can imagine that we were all extremely tired. At bed time Juju would complain that she wanted her bed, her stuff and her house. Firas and I would lay in bed with her and acknowledge that everything was still where we left it in Minnesota - that we would visit all the things and people we loved again.

That was particularly hard considering my grief and loss period didn't hit until we left.

But that was the first week....

She doesn't have those types of fits anymore - unless we have just video chatted with people. This episode usually interrupts the chat because it becomes very apparent to her that these people are far away and she starts asking about them, where they are, when she will see them - how she doesn't want them to be in Minnesota she wants them here with her.

These fits are harder than my own personal episodes because it reminds me of the child inside me throwing a tantrum for the comforts of home.

That Being Said

We are all doing well. Our sleep schedule is mostly normal - the new normal - I've decided to just let that be what it is.

Joelle has ditched diapers in the night after only a couple days. No potty training devices (ie toilet toppers, reminders to go) I was really nervous about not bringing all the famcy aids I had grown accustomed to. In fact it caused me anxiety thinking I would have to go back to potty training. She is doing impeccable.

She isn't so upset abut 'home' and starting to realize that home is relative to where you are and who you are with. We are talking about all the houses we will have and how cool that is. (1 in Minnesota. 1 in Baakaata. 1 in Adonis. 1 in Dubai)

My favorite exchange.....


"We are on a big adbenture"

"I couldn't have said it better myself darling"

Comments