Sense of Time!

One of the most relaxing things about being in Lebanon is that I have yet to be in a hurry - and I am not complaining.

I am not sure if this is due to the fact that I am here with no job or house to take care of (ect. ect.). I tend to believe that this is just a way of life. I get the feeling that so far people are more relaxed about timelines in general.

Part of this theory is supported by a recent attempt to open a bank account, we also had to go to the US equivalent of homeland security to see if I needed a visa. Fun fact that was interesting to find out only after arriving.... In Lebanon, if you work for the government (or the bank) work days are 9-2!!!! Totally awesome for them, would've been nice to know when we set out for the bank :)~

The best way to describe our visit to the bank is that instead of a chore - it was like an event. You should be dressed decent, a guy opened my door when I arrived and greeted me then patted Joelle on the head (she gets this all the time from people and thinks it is so funny). They offered coffee, tea or water. We sat at the desk in front of our baker, who remembered us from the time before. She asked us how we were, was really cordial. She said hello to other bank customers that knew her very well. It was a nice encounter. Very laid back. There was no rush, what needed to get done was done in a timely manner. Sure, it was a little longer than I was used to, but the deed was done.

I am sort of a go-go-go person and at first I didn't find this difference to be the way of life for me. However, I am noticing myself enjoying the slower pace of life :) Taking some time to smell the flowers.



Of course, there were some things that I have been doing to help adjust to the difference of having everything to do to having not much to do.


Fireworks! Totally fun! These were like the big ones! Such a thrill! I'm addicted. Everyone does them. Everywhere! 


No need to bake and salt pistachios. They are ab.so.friggin.lutely divine raw (and great with beer). (I have been exploring food and experimenting with the new camera). Have you ever had raw pistachios just off a tree?  Did you know that raw pistachios are the most beautiful shade of red? My body was screaming 'EAT MORE EAT MORE'. I am not sure if you can get these in the states but if come across them.. get some! 

Then of course there are regularly attended Balls :) 

Joelle is the Prince and well you can guess who is the princess. I mean.. just LOOK at that curtsey!




My Husband leaves for Duabi in a few days. He will 'buy our purple castle' as our daughter puts it and get our paperwork sorted. In about a month Joelle and I will join him at our 'final destination'.



We are however, enjoying our 'pit stop'!

Comments

  1. Ok, is that a game or something in the box? Marlo, I so enjoy your blog! Learning a slower life is awesome. I'm trying to do that, but as you know, it's hard to do here. Your husband seems like an awesome guy. Can't wait to see where you end up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. The most explosive game ever :) Fireworks! The real ones that are illegal almost everywhere... accept here. Very very fun! We lit them off on a rock ledge by the sea!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment