One Notable Difference

Since this blog is about my relocation, I suppose that I should comment on the differences of living in Lebanon.

I haven't Live-lived here. But I have spent long periods of time in Lebanon and I have a few differences that I have noticed. (By long visits I am talking 1-2 months on three separate occasions. This is enough to have seen most of the big touristy locations and to get onto the Lebanese life style)

I will only talk about one of the most notable differences in this post, it takes a while to explain...

Electricity

In the US you pay for the amount of electricty you use. You may feel it at the end of the month when you get your bill but you inevitably pay it. Maybe you even decide to be a little more careful and turn the ac off when it is a nice day. Easy. 

In Lebanon, there are two electric bills to pay. One for the government and then another for when the government electricity goes out. This second individually owned company owns huge generators which provide electricity to it's subscribers when the government electricity cuts out.

So imagine this: You are shopping and then suddenly it goes dark and silent. All you can hear are the customers and sales clerks carrying on business as usual. 10-15 seconds later a generator turns on in the distance and slowly the lights begin to turn back on. 

This is normal to people here, they don't even flinch. Firas, Juju and I are only starting to get used to this phenomenon. Juju comments each time 'Mama dont worry the lights will be right back!' and it's a dead give away that we are visitors. It's quite the experience.

Moving on.

At the moment I don't miss hot showers. I willfully subject my sweaty self to a freezing cold shower and love every second past the first. Still, hot water was a constant in my Minnesota life, and it would be nice to take the edge off a freezing cold shower, so I began to ask some questions.

The water heater takes up a lot of voltage and you are only allotted a certain amount when on generator electricity. So they keep the water heater off to save voltage when in generator mode since there is no schedule to when government electricity will be running or not.

I accept that. Makes sense. Seems environmentally and fiscally conservative.. I'm listening.

If you want a hot shower you must first, be on government electricity, since it is not as restrictive on voltage and second, turn on the water heater before you shower. Basically you plan your hot shower around when it is available.

There is always the old school option of boiling some water and taking a bath.

OR

There is my option, and in this heat without central air I never regret a freezing shower. It makes me feel alive and incredibly clean.

Thats it for this episode of #differencesoflivinginlebanon

PS. You guessed it. Works that way for washing machines, dishwashers ect...


Comments

  1. I am LOVING your blog Marlo! I love learning about parts of the World that I know nothing about. This post is so interested. We are so, so spoiled here.

    I was just talking to Andrew about how you said the processed foods were expensive and the fresh foods were cheaper. I wish that were true here!

    Any chance you could do pictures with your posts? I would love to see what your stores look like and all the other things you post about

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! I also love your blog and it inspired me to be a better blogger.

      I do need to get better with pictures. Against my will and not for lack of effort, I am not the best photographer. But I am learning and trying.

      This blog is a learning curve and I will do my best to improve my blogging ... and my grammer! Promise!

      Delete

Post a Comment